Sugaring Off in Cooperstown

One of the sure signs that winter is starting to lose it’s grip

…the maple trees are showing off some new accessories.

With the warm days and cool nights the maple sap is running and buckets are showing up all over town to tap into the opportunity.

For thousands of years people have celebrated this first sign of spring with Sugaring Off parties. The sap is collected from the Sugar Maples and poured into huge boiling vats where it will brew for hours (it takes almost ten gallons of sap to produce one quart of maple syrup, so you can imagine how much work is involved!).

If you keep the boiling process going, you can actually produce a maple syrup paste…

(if anyone is a fan of Laura Ingalls Wilder books, you might remember that she wrote about this!)

Hello Half Pint!

After a long, gray, cold winter, Sugaring Off is the first real taste of spring. And like many other communities, folks all over Cooperstown are breaking out of hibernation to join in the fun…

…even a brown-eyed boy who I happen to be partial to.

The promise of spring… just for the JOY of it!

Good, True & Beautiful

And what about you? What brought you JOY this week? Any signs of spring in your neck of the woods?

If you have a blog, add a link to the “MckLinky” application below… (please be sure to link to the post, not to your home page) AND add a link or a button connecting back here – that way everyone has a chance to benefit from each others posts (and I appreciate it!)

If you don’t have a blog, please share your thoughts in the comment section below… it’s wonderful to read them!!

And of course, everybody should click on some of the links listed below, and be sure to leave a comment so they know you stopped by for a visit. Joy is infectious you know!

Comments

• says

Being a HUGE Laura Ingalls fan, I tried to make the maple syrup candy when I was kid. It didn’t work too well though… could it be ’cause I tried to use Aunt Jemimas? hee hee!

1. says

Yes … I do recall reading about this in he ‘Little House’ books and I enjoyed your post greatly since all of this is foreign to me … though I do love maple syrup on my waffles and pancakes ;-)

Living where I do (near the beach in Southern California) it’s already SPRING … and folks were out in force at the beach already this afternoon with temperatures in the 80s and St. Paddy’s Day to celebrate.
    Hugs and blessings,
    .-= Small Reflections´s last blog ..YardArt-Just for the JOY of It-Thursday Thirteen =-.

• says

Melissa! Another reason why we should be friends… I always WANTED to be the Maple Sugar Sweetheart when i was young! I’ll just have to live vicariously through you!

• says

Yup, Cooperstown is a lovely place to live. They call it “America’s Perfect Village” and I think this is why! Of course, you have to drive an hour to get to a Target….!

2. says

I was just thinkin’ how much like Little House this is! What an incredibly fun tradition.

Tell me, do you all have a dance afterwards where you dress up in your best dresses and Grandma does an Irish jig, surprising all the guests?
    .-= Jamie´s last blog ..The Brother That I Never Knew =-.

3. says

I love this! Our town doesn’t have a springtime tradition but we do have an Apple Butter Festival in the fall. One of my favorite times of the year. :)
    .-= Amy´s last blog .. =-.

4. Danielle says

Every time it snows I want to put a pan outside to catch it and then pour syrup on it thanks to the Little House books. :)

I think it was The Boxcar Children that made me want cheese also every time I have apple pie, lol.

5. says

Hey there! I’m a new follower from Friday Follow. Hope to see you around my blog sometime! And please feel free to check out one of my most current giveaways for 1 of 3 Xbox 360 games and for a 25$ walmart gift card.
    Take Care.
    -Amanda T

6. Pam Hinton says

My husband started tapping the maple trees in our woods a few years ago and our daughter and granddaughters absolutely love it. What a great tradition to pass on to the next generation. We were wondering about the cleanup for the cast iron pot. We have burnt some batches by mistake and it is awful to cleanup. We have never boiled the sap down that far but I am sure our granddaughters would love it. Thanks so much for sharing.