Good Night John Boy

Nature Boy and I don’t have a television.

That’s right.  My name is Sharon, I’m 38 years old and I don’t own a TV.

{I’ll wait until you catch your breathe}

I have nothing against television.  I used to watch TV just like everyone else.

Then I married Nature Boy who didn’t own one and, based on the advice of all our Newlywed Books, we decided to keep it that way.

Five years later, I don’t really miss it.

We have Satellite radio to get the news.  I have the internet to get my Current Events.  I have my sister who calls me if anything really important happens.

Honestly, not having TV really isn’t that bad.  Because, you see, we have The Waltons on DVD.

Yup, you heard my right.  I’m a total dork.

At the end of a long day, when the dishes are done, the little guy is sleeping, and the chocolate ice cream has been scooped, we cozy up for a good episode of that award winning series from the Seventies.

And I love it.

I love the old fashioned code of ethics.

I love the respect that the kids show their parents.

I love how John and Olivia have a really great marriage (but the grandparents get saucy with each other).

And I laugh at the horrible seventies fashion statements that seem to plague this depression era family.

I mean, really…

Having now watch almost all of the first five seasons, I now might be considered an expert in all things Walton.  I would probably even consider joining the fan club if it didn’t cost $20 a year (yup, I checked).

- I giggle each time they show a shot of “Waltons Mountain,” which is supposed to be in Virginia but looks an awful lot like the foothills of California where we used to live.

- I’ve had indepth discussions about all the visitors who found their way to Walton’s Mountain — the Gypsies, the Wing Walker, the angst ridden cousin who married a dopey guy from the city (who then died so I feel bad for calling him dopey).  For a remote little outpost, they sure did see a lot of foot traffic.

- I have Googled the question “why is John Boy limping at the start of season five?” but the answer still evades me.  What shenanigans did ol’ Richard Thomas get into during hiatus?  I just gotta know.

- I’ve actually said the words “Mom, can I call you back?  We’re in the middle of a Waltons” and she didn’t disown me. I think she was too shocked.

But I take comfort in the fact that I’m not alone. In 1992, when a TV GUIDE survey asked Americans what television family they would most like to be a member of, the top answer was — you guessed it — the Waltons.

And when we’re done with this series, we’re moving on to Little House.

Do you have a favorite Walton’s episode?  Leave a comment…  I won’t tell anyone!

Note:  if I’ve inspired you to go buy a copy of the Walton’s DVD you can use this link to Amazon – if you end up purchasing there I’ll get a referral credit.  Or, you can just Google The Waltons on your own.  Either way, enjoy!

Comments

1. togetherforgood says

we didn't have a tv for a long time. We have one now but we almost never watch real tv on it. We rent movies and tv shows from netflix and the red box. I really like it because we're not boxed in by tv schedules and we don't waste our time with commercials. :)

2. Brenda says

Hi Sharon,
    First of all, thanks for stopping by for a visit. I always like meeting new people…and not just for the numbers ;)
    I hadn't watched the Waltons for ages until I saw the dvds at the library. I enjoyed them a lot but had to endure being called–exactly in your words–a dork by by 21 yr. old! They were a little slow for my 8 yr old. So I guess it's just me all alone on Walton Mountain.
    I totally agree about the TV thing. We didn't have it for a long time, then we got Direct Tv. It was fun for awhile, then we realized all we were mainly watching were reruns that we could get at the library or online. So we got rid of it.
    Didn't mean for this to be so long on a first visit!
    God bless.

3. Michelle says

I love the Waltons and Little House on the Prairie! Hubby doesn't much care for either one of them though. :) It's been a while since I have watched either one.

I can't think of any one that stands out. . . . but now I am going to have to find some to watch!!

4. Kate says

I haven't watched the Waltons in years and years, but maybe I will. I recently watched Little House on the Prairie with my kids and it spurred some great conversations about ethics, community, and modern conveniences.

I gave up tv last year and I don't miss it one bit.

5. Lisa says

When I was younger (I'm 28 now), my dad made us watch the entire Walton series. Mind you – this was BEFORE it was out on DVD. He found a station that was re-airing the entire series in order.

Every single night we sat down and watched an episode together until we reached the end.

I recall acting like I hated this – and secretly loving it. It's still one of my favorite shows of all time!

6. Melissa B. says

My daughter attends a college with no cable in the dorm rooms. And she doesn't really miss it. Although I have to say she does get a heavy dose of reality TV when she comes home on break!

7. Anonymous says

We have not had cable for about 10 years. We just have an antenna. My son just recently started to complain about this – being ten he feels he is missing out on all the great cartoons. Over the summer we discovered METV and they run old shows. He stumbled on the old Batman series ( POW ) and then found I love Lucy and the Dick Van Dyke show. When we got home last night he said – quick my shows are on – I Love Lucy is starting!

8. A Frugal Friend says

I can't remember a specific episode….but I remember loving the show as a kid. I might just have to find reruns! :-)

Goodnight John Boy!

9. Stephanie says

Add me to the dork club! ;-)

We recently moved and decided to ditch TV for at least a month while we settled and figured out finances. It's been (almost 6 months) and the best decision! We don't miss it (except Food Network)…and, aren't planning on hooking it back up!

Almost every night, we pop in on of the oldies – Andy Griffith, Hogan's Heroes, Honeymooners, Green Acres, Little House, Beaver, etc…

Why have TV? They don't make shows as good as the oldies anyway!

10. Jamie says

I thought I was the only Walton-lover out there (besides my mom)! I love that show so much that I named my youngest daughter Olivia, because I want to be just like the Mama! I'm really hoping someone will start giving the seasons on DVD for gifts. I'm hoping…

11. Robin in New Jersey says

We are watching the Waltons with our children. (ages 10,12,14 & 16) We are almost done with season 2. I don't have a favorite episode, but I did not like the Ghost Story one we just watched last week.

We have watched all of the Little House series with our older kids when they were younger.

12. Beth says

Sorry I'm late commenting on this post. Forgive me – I just found your blog today! I love, love, love the Walton's and Little House on the Prairie! Two of my all time favorite shows. I can't imagine giving up my tv though ;)

13. Jeff in Saskatchewan says

I just watched the episodes that john boy is limping, and on one of them, sherrif asks how he is doing, and he says something like “fixed up beter than the motorbike”. I’m paraphrasing, because I did not DVR it so I could not back it up to re play it to verify. that is why I checked on the internet for an answer to Johnboy’s limp.

14. says

Hi! I was just watching the Waltons and wondered why John Boy was limping and I googled it and came across your site :) I found this too and thought you might want to know the answer to our question in a review page.

Note
    You will notice Richard Thomas walking with a limp. He had a motorcycle accident during the hiatus. The episodes were filmed out of order and the injury is later worked into the episode “The Great Motorcycle Race.”